Florence (Hamilton) Williams: 1889 - 1927
My great grandmother, Florence Hamilton was born around March of 1889 in Bowie County, Texas. Florence was the youngest of seven children born to Jasper Hamilton and Angelina Kellum.
Florence’s siblings were:
- George Hamilton (1874 – 1985)
- Mary Alberta Hamilton (1876 – )
- Hattie Hamilton (1878 – 1957)
- Alice E. Hamilton (1878 – 1965)
- Willie Oscar Hamilton (1885 – 1966)
- James Hamilton (1886 – 1962)
Florence married Eugene Williams of Dallas, Texas prior to migrating to Oakland, California with the rest of her family between 1914 and 1920. The 1920 United States Census shows Eugene, 46, and Florence, 29, living at 962 Fifth St., Oakland, California on January 5, 1920. In April of that same year, they bore their only child, Eugene “Milton” Williams, my maternal grandfather.
Sadly, at the very young age of 37, Florence was stricken with illness and died on January 25, 1927 at Highland Hospital in Oakland, California. Her death certificate indicates the primary cause of death was “chronic cardio-renal disease.” Her son, Milton was only 5 years old at the time of her death and raised by his aunt, Hattie (Hamilton) Davis.
- Information obtained from the oral histories of Milton Williams, Leona Whitley Williams and Nanearl Toussaint-Touson.
- Information obtained from the written histories of Elaine (Brooks) Rucker: 23 Nov 2017
- Florence Hamilton’s death certificate acquired from the Alameda County Courthouse: 23 Jul 2012.
- Florence Hamilton’s newspaper obituary acquired Newspapers.com: 18 Oct 2015.
- 1920 U.S. Federal Census